Monday 3 December 2012

Evergreen Review - 50 - Dec 1967 / Bukowski & Ungerer

Here's a few tidbits from Evergreen Review - 50 - Dec 1967. ER is an iconic publication from a tumultuous era. This particular issue is rather nice - a great cover from Tomi Ungerer, a poem from Hank Bukowski (several years before he found fame), cartoons from Kliban and a long article about Chappaqua; an obscure film I think I'll now try and track down. There's also an advert for the album Chelsea Girl, by the ice-maiden Nico.

The Bukowski poem is quite a gritty introduction if you're not familiar with his work, but pretty much sums-up his approach and style.

I'll save the Kliban cartoons for some later postings.


Evergreen Review - 50 - Dec 1967




Evergreen Review - 50 - Dec 1967



Bukowski - Men's Crapper

Review from ER - 52

5 comments:

  1. Could you do me a solid and take a picture of the LeRoi Jones pieces in this issue? I would be deeply grateful if you could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you still interested in the LeRoi Jones pieces in this issue? I own a copy (see comments below) and could make scans for you if you let me know your email.
      b_ojard@hotmail.com

      Delete
  2. Kliban cartoons in issue #50?! You never did post them, I don't think -- please do! Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm very sure now that Chesty Previtt has either abandoned this blog or else he has died. I'm very sorry if either of those things are true. I really enjoyed the things that he posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this thread, Chesty said that Evergreen magazine's issue #50 contains cartoons by B. Kliban. This caused me to go ahead and waste $13.94 on a copy so I could see those cartoons. There are NO cartoons by Kliban in EVERGREEN issue #50. Not even a mention of Kliban anywhere in it.
    Damn.

    ReplyDelete